This filter is used to remove columns of text, given a column specification that
describes the position of the column relative to the start or end of the line, and the
width of the column.
Several different means of specifying the columns to remove are provided:
- Start column, End column. This removes all text including and between the specified
columns. Useful for removing column in fixed width data files.
- Start column, width. Removes Width characters starting from (and including) column
- End column, width. Removes Width characters backwards starting from (and including)
- Start column to end of line. Removes all characters from the Start column to the very
end of the line. Useful for making a file a uniform width.
- Width to end of line. Removes Width characters backwards starting from (and including)
the last column.
Note - if you are removing more than one column range, it is easiest to
remove ranges from right-to-left so that the position of the columns doesn't
Remove delimited fields (CSV, Tab, Pipe etc)