Page 1 of 1

Error-Invalid variant operation since upgrade to 7.4.2

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:49 am
by Christian Lempereur
I just updated TextPipe Pro from 7.0.something to 7.4.2 and I am getting an "Error-Invalid variant operation" which I did not get with previous version.
The filter is getting data out of an Access DB with an SQL statement in the trial run area.
I could solve the problem by changing
SELECT left(T.Desc,1000) FROM Tasks T ;
Any idea what the reason could be?
I may have to update a large number of filters if I go for the upgrade.


Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:34 am
by DataMystic Support
Hi Christian,

What is the data type of the field, and how long is the data in it typically?

Error-Invalid variant operation

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:42 pm
by Christian Lempereur
TextPipe current version: 7.6.3

Sorry had other priorities. Finally here is an answer on your question: the field is a memo field.
I come back on it because there is another odd problem with this type of data. Besides the "Error-Invalid variant operation" problem, if I use my workaround it will work as long as the data is not more than 255 characters else I get another error unless I limit to left(Myfield,255).
If I put more than 255 than the data is cut anyway and worse the rest of the data (Yes the following rows from the table) is not retrieved. Processing stops here and no warning or error is issued.


Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:23 pm
by Christian Lempereur
In the meantime I found the following (clumpsy) workaround:
instead of using left(MyField, 500)

(add more if needed)

And then use a filter to put the separate fields back in one field by restricting on those fields and removing the field delimiters and text qualifiers if necessary.

That solves my problem for now but it would be nice to be able to retrieve long memo fields at once.

Best regards,


Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:46 am
by Christian Lempereur
Well apparently my workaround does not work if data is really more than 255 characters. I'm stuck!


Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:28 am
by DataMystic Support
Sorry Christian,

No suggestions I'm afraid.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:49 am
by Christian Lempereur
If I understand your answer correctly, there is no way to handle memo fields larger than 255 characters in length with TextPipe and that's it.
Bottomline what you say is: look at another SW to do that. Tell me I did not get your message correctly.


Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:58 am
by DataMystic Support
This is an Access database driver issue, not a TextPipe issue.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 am
by Christian Lempereur
Possible. I got my problem solved by using the Database to retrieve the full memo fields. I think they have their own MS Access connection instead of the ODBC I use with TexPipe.

best regards,

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:08 pm
by DataMystic Support
Thanks for letting us know Christian.